Already in 1893 the Sigmund-Thun-Gorge was opened to tourism. Nikolaus Gassner, a tourism pioneer in the area, built among other things as hotels a wooden path through the Gorge. The Salzburg nobleman, Sigmund Earl of Thun, was deeply impressed by the site: „Blustering and incredibly the Fluthen rush toward us.“
In 1934 the gorge was declared as a natural monument.
Due to the power-plant-building the gorge was closed in 1938.
Spurred by the history of the Bürgkogel and the Sigmund-Thun-Gorge the Society „VSF-Kaprun“ decided 1991 to reopen the gorge to tourism.
The key elemtents of the recreation area Bürgkogel-Klammsee are the pathway through the Sigmund-Thun-Gorge, the natural walk around the Klammsee Reservoir and the exhibition centre at the Kaprun hydroelectric-power-plant.